Argentina: 62-year-old woman becomes a mother for the first time after fertility treatment

Argentina: 62-year-old woman becomes a mother for the first time after fertility treatment

A 62-year-old woman became a mother for the first time in San Nicolás, Buenos Aires province, after undergoing assisted reproduction treatment. The birth of her son, David, took place by cesarean section on Wednesday morning at San Felipe Hospital.

Read more LIVE: Peru vs Argentina for the 2026 U17 Volleyball World Cup

The baby weighed 2.75 kilos and, according to his mother, was born in good condition. Mabel remained hospitalized after delivery, while the newborn spent a few hours in neonatology.

The case drew attention due to the mother’s age and because it was a pregnancy achieved several years after the onset of menopause.

YOU CAN SEE: Argentine justice orders preventive seizure of Cristina Kirchner’s assets, including the apartment where she serves house arrest

The pregnancy was achieved through egg donation

Mabel resorted to in vitro fertilization to achieve the pregnancy. Since she no longer produced eggs, the treatment was carried out through egg donation, a procedure in which a donated egg is fertilized in a laboratory and then transferred to the uterus.

The woman said that her desire to be a mother remained for years, despite having gone through menopause. “I decided to have a child now because I have been menopausal for many years, but I always had the desire to be a mother. I did not give up,” she said.

Mabel explained that she finally decided to start the treatment and highlighted that the process went smoothly: “Everything went perfectly: the treatment, the embryo formed, I had a beautiful pregnancy and David arrived. I am very happy. I always wanted to be a mother.”

Romina Ruffini, the obstetrician who accompanied Mabel during the pregnancy, explained that the pregnancy was considered high risk due to the patient’s age. However, she assured that the check-ups showed a favorable evolution.

The hospital where the birth took place. Photo: Google Maps
The hospital where the birth took place. Photo: Google Maps

The specialist indicated that she received Mabel when she was 13 weeks pregnant and that during the follow-up no complications were recorded that altered the development of the pregnancy. “I supported her decision knowing it was high risk. Her health condition during the process was optimal,” she said.

The cesarean was scheduled for the 37th week of pregnancy, with stricter medical controls due to the characteristics of the case.

Read more Results Superior Draw: grand prize and today’s broadcast, August 14

The medical treatment used

Dr. Matías Colabianchi, who attended Mabel, explained that the patient received a biological cellular regenerative therapy with stem cells.

According to the specialist, this type of procedure can be used to treat certain conditions related to fertility. In Mabel’s case, the pregnancy occurred with the first treatment.

Colabianchi also noted that he had previously treated other women over 50 years old who managed to become pregnant through assisted reproduction procedures.

“Menopause nowadays is not an obstacle”

After David’s birth, Mabel left a message addressed to others who still have the desire to become mothers. “You must not give up. Menopause nowadays is not an obstacle; science has advanced a lot,” she said.

The case in San Nicolás represents a rare situation and adds to other international precedents of women who became mothers after 60 through assisted reproduction techniques.

Among the known cases is Romanian Adriana Iliescu, who had a baby at 66 years old in 2005. A year later, Spanish María del Carmen Bousada de Lara had twins when she was about to turn 67.

In 2015, German Annegret Raunigk gave birth to quadruplets at 65 years old after undergoing assisted reproduction treatment.

Read more Why the next big culinary destination in South America is in Quito and what Peru has to do with its flourishing food scene

RECOMMENDED VIDEO

In a swift diplomatic crisis, the Brazilian Foreign Ministry summoned the Argentine ambassador to Brazil on Sunday, July 26, to provide explanations about “offenses” by Argentine President Javier Milei against his counterpart Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva and other authorities, a diplomatic source told AFP. (AFP)
YOU MAY BE INTERESTED
  • Two Argentines reported missing after the earthquake in Colombia found alive
  • Argentina will begin charging non-resident foreigners for public health
  • Maradona had “signs of heart failure” days before dying, according to expert
  • Argentina offers aid to Colombia and expresses condolences for victims of the 7.4 magnitude earthquake

Translated from

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *